Oracle Apps DBA EBS (E-Business Suite)
Patching Interview Questions/FAQs Part1
Patching Interview Questions/FAQs Part1
1. What is a one-off patch?
Ans : An one-off patch is a small patch (of without any pre-requisites) to fix a bug.
2. What is a mini pack?
Ans : A mini pack is one which will upgrade any product patchset level to next level (like AD.H to AD.I).
3. What is Family pack?
Ans : A Family pack is one which will upgrade the patchset level of all the products in that family to particular patchset level.
4. What is Maintenance pack?
Ans : A maintenance pack will upgrade applications from one version to another (like 11.5.8 to 11.5.9).
5. What is a Rollup patch?
Ans : A rollup patch is one which will deliver bug fixes identified after the release of any major application versions (like 126.96.36.199/12.1.0).
6. What is consolidated patch?
Ans: Consolidated patches will come into picture after upgrades from one version of applications to another, all post upgrade patches will a consolidated and given as consolidated patch.
7. How you apply a patch?
Ans : adpatch
8. How to find latest patchset level for module installed?
Ans : select APP_SHORT_NAME, max(PATCH_LEVEL) from AD_PATCH_DRIVER_MINIPKS GROUP BY APP_SHORT_NAME;
9. How you will find whether a patch is applied/not?
Ans : Query ad_bugs.
10. What is the other table where you can query what are the patches applied?
Ans : ad_applied_patches.
11. How to find out which patch driver is applied (like c,d,g or u)?
Ans: Query ad_patch_drivers.
12. How to find out whether a language patch is applied for a particular patch?
Ans : Query ad_patch_driver_langs.
13. What is the difference between ad_bugs and ad_applied_patches?
Ans: A patch can deliver solution for more than one bug, so ad_applied_patches may not give the perfect information as in case of ad_bugs.
14. What inputs you need to apply a patch other than driver name and etc?
Ans : apps and system passwords
15. What are the tables adpatch will create and when?
Ans : Adpatch will create FND_INSTALL_PROCESSES and AD_DEFERRED_JOBS table when it will apply d,g and u drivers.
16. What is a patch and name some different types of patches?
Ans : Patch is a program which fixes the bug.
There are 4 different types of patches
• One-off patch:
o This is the simplest type of patch. It is created to resolve a particular problem.
• Mini pack Patch:
o It is a collection of one-off patches related to a particular module or product.
o Mini Pack version of module is denoted by Alphabetic characters.
• Family pack patch:
o This is a collection of mini pack patches in one family.
o Alphabetic characters denote the family pack version.
• Maintenance pack patch:
o This is a collection of family pack patches.
o Oracle Applications Release 11.5.10 is an example of Maintenance pack.
17. What are the contents of patch and drivers present in patching?
Ans : Contents of patch:
• Readme files
• Driver files
• Metadata files
• Replacement files
Drivers present in patching:
• C (copy) driver - It copies all the files and links the executables.
• D (database) driver - It is responsible for running SQL scripts which updates the database.
• G (generate) driver - It is responsible for generating forms, reports and message files.
• U (unified) driver - It is a united driver containing all copy and database actions.
18. What do you do if patch fails?
• Evaluate log files to determine the cause of the error.
• Repair the cause of error.
• Now restart adpatch.
• Answer 'Yes' when adpatch asks if you want to continue the previous session.
• Adpatch starts from where it left off by skipping all completed steps.
19. How can I determine the effects a patch will have on my application system?
Ans :This can be done by patch wizard in the Oracle Applications manager.
• Checking total number of files in the patch and which are installed.
• Products that contain updated files.
• Total number of files introduced by the patch.
• Files on the target system changed by the patch.
• Files which depend on patched files.
20. How can you reduce the downtime when you have to apply multiple patches?
• You can reduce the downtime by merging all the patches into one single patch using admergepatch (admrgpch) tool.
• You can also apply multiple patches one by one by choosing options nocompiledb, nocompilejsp, and nolink.
• Compilation of invalid objects, jsp’s and relinking can be skipped till the last patch is applied.
• In the last patch you can compile all of them and then relink.
• You can also choose the max number of workers which your CPU permits.
Patching Interview Questions/FAQs Part2